How to Turn On Facebook, Messenger, or Instagram Dark Mode
In this post, you’ll see the steps to enable and disable dark mode on FB, Messenger, and Instagram. Let’s start.
Enable or Disable Facebook Dark Mode
Log in to Facebook and click on the profile picture at the top right.
Hit “Display & accessibility.”
You can see the following in the “Dark Mode” section:
- Off – Disables Facebook’s dark mode.
- On – Turn on Facebook’s dark mode.
- Automatic – Facebook will set the mode of your device to Facebook. For instance, if your system is in dark mode, FB will also be in dark mode.
Pick the one you prefer.
Facebook’s compact mode reduces font size to display more content on the screen.
You can see the “Compact Mode” section with these two options after following the above steps:
- Off – Deactivate compact mode.
- On – Activate compact mode.
Choose the one you prefer.
See: How to Disable Facebook In-App Browser
Android or iPhone
Open the Facebook app and tap the “Menu.”
Hit “Settings & privacy.” If you’re on iPhone, tap “Settings.”
Hit “Dark mode.” The following three options are available:
- On – Enable dark mode.
- Off – Disable dark mode.
- System (if you’re on an iPhone) or “Use system settings” (if you’re on an Android) – The app will also be in dark mode if the device is in dark mode. It will not be in dark mode if the device is not in dark mode.
Select the one you desire.
Turn On or Off Messenger Dark Mode
Below you’ll find how to do this task on the Messenger Desktop app. Let’s see how to do this on Android or iPhone.
Open the Messenger app and hit the three vertical lines at the top left.
Hit the “Gear” icon.
Tap “Dark mode,” and you can view these three options:
- On – Enable dark mode.
- Off – Turn dark mode off.
- System – Whenever the device is in dark mode, so is the app. The app isn’t in dark mode if the device isn’t in dark mode.
Pick the one you like.
Note: Messenger.com doesn’t support dark mode.
Messenger Desktop App
In the Messenger Desktop app, hit your profile picture at the bottom left.
Select “Preferences” and “Appearance” in the left sidebar.
Beneath the “Theme,” you can see a drop-down list. Open it, and you can view these options:
- Mirror system preferences
- High Contrast (Dark)
- High Contrast (Light)
Please choose the one you prefer, and that’s it.
Activate or Deactivate Instagram Dark Mode
Instagram’s desktop version doesn’t support dark mode.
But the Instagram Desktop app has a dark mode, and here’s how to enable or disable it: In the Instagram Desktop app, click “More” in the left sidebar and hit “Switch appearance.”
Your Instagram app will reflect your Android device’s dark mode state. For example, if you have turned off dark mode on an Android device, Instagram will not be in dark mode.
On Android, you can enable or disable dark mode as follows:
Open “Settings” and tap on “Display.” Activate (to turn on) or deactivate (to turn off) the “Dark theme.”
The following steps will enable dark mode on the Instagram app only:
In the Instagram app, hit your profile picture at the bottom. Tap the three horizontal lines at the top right of the screen.
Choose “Settings” and hit “Theme.” You now have three options to choose from:
- Light – Disable dark mode.
- Dark – Enable dark mode.
- System default – Set the state of your device’s dark mode to Instagram app. For example, if your device isn’t in dark mode, then the app won’t be.
You can select the one you prefer.
By default, the Instagram app reflects the dark mode setting of your iPhone. For example, if your iPhone is in dark mode, the app is too.
Here’s how to turn on or off dark mode on your iPhone:
Open “Settings” and hit “Display & Brightness.”
Choose “Light” (to turn off) or “Dark” (to turn on) under “Appearance.”
Note: If you want the dark mode enabled or disabled only for a certain period, choose “Automatic.” You can set the time to your liking.