This post shows you how to turn on or off media visibility for single and all WhatsApp chats. Here, I use an Android phone. Let’s begin.
Turn On or Off Media Visibility in WhatsApp
Here’s how you can enable or disable media visibility:
- Open the WhatsApp Messenger app and tap three vertical dots on the top right.
- Select Settings > Chats.
- In the Chat settings section, you can view “Media visibility” between the “Enter is send” and “Font size.”
- Turn that on (to enable it) or off (to disable it) as per your preference.
Turn On or Off Media Visibility for a Single WhatsApp Chat
Here are the steps:
Open a WhatsApp conversation (contact or group) and tap its name at the top.
Select “Media visibility” between “Custom notifications” and “Disappearing messages.”
You can see these options in the popup:
- Default (Yes or No) – This applies the WhatsApp media visibility state (which you’ll see below) to chat. The Yes or No you see in parentheses is the current state of that setting.
- Yes – Enable media visibility for this WhatsApp chat.
- No – Turn off media visibility for this chat.
Select the one you like and tap OK.
- WhatsApp media visibility is turned on by default, causing downloaded media to appear in the gallery.
- If you only want to hide WhatsApp photos in the gallery, try these steps: Open the File Explorer app on your Android phone. Find and open the WhatsApp folder, then Media > WhatsApp Images. Create a .nomedia file.
Thanks for reading.