In this post, you’ll see the steps to turn on or off media visibility for single and all WhatsApp chats. Here, I use an Android phone. Let’s begin.
Turn On or Off Media Visibility on WhatsApp
Open the WhatsApp Messenger app.
Tap three vertical dots on the top right.
Select Settings > Chats.
Turn that on (to enable it) or off (to disable it) as per your preference.
Turn On or Off Media Visibility for a Single WhatsApp Chat
Note that the media visibility you set for a single chat will override the one you set for your entire WhatsApp app.
Here are the steps:
Launch the WhatsApp app.
Open a conversation (contact or group) and tap its name at the top.
Select “Media visibility” beneath “Custom notifications.”
You can see this message: Show newly downloaded media from this chat in your device’s gallery.
And these options in the popup:
- Default (Yes or No) – This applies WhatsApp’s media visibility state (which you’ve seen above) to the chat. The “Yes” or “No” you see in parentheses is the current state of that setting.
- Yes – Enable media visibility for this WhatsApp chat.
- No – Turn off media visibility for this chat.
Select the one you like and tap “OK.”
- WhatsApp’s media visibility is turned on by default, causing downloaded media to appear in the gallery.
- If you only want to hide WhatsApp photos in the gallery, try these steps: Open the File Explorer app on your Android phone. Find and open the WhatsApp folder, then Media > WhatsApp Images. Create a .nomedia file.