In this post, you’ll see the steps to find your WhatsApp number and name.
Also, you’ll see the steps to change your name and your contact’s name on WhatsApp. And the steps to find if a number is on WhatsApp or not. Let’s begin.
Find WhatsApp Number and Name
Note: WhatsApp doesn’t assign or let you give yourself a username. You create a WhatsApp account using your number, which is your identity.
Android or iPhone
Open the WhatsApp Messenger app.
If you’re on an Android phone, tap the three vertical dots at the top right corner and select “Settings.” On iPhone, hit the “Settings” tab at the bottom.
At the top, you can see the name, which is visible to your WhatsApp contacts.
Note that if someone has your contact with a name different from your WhatsApp account, they will see the name in the contact.
If you want to find the number, hit the name. And you can see the “Edit Profile” (iPhone) or “Profile” (Android) screen, where you can find these:
- “Name” shows the customizable name. To change the name, tap it, remove the existing one and provide a new one. The maximum number of characters you can use here is 25. You can use emojis here if you wish. Hit the “Save” option in the pop-up if you’re on Android. On iPhone, tap “Done” at the top right.
- “Phone” (on Android) or “Phone Number” (on iPhone) shows the number you’ve used for your WhatsApp account. Note that changing the phone number is possible. And for that, you need to tap the phone number, and you’ll be on the screen where you can start the process.
- “About” shows your current about.
- You can also add or change your profile picture here.
Note: You can’t find the phone number using WhatsApp Web.
Open the WhatsApp Web and hit the profile picture in the left sidebar.
You can see these pieces of information now:
- In “Your name,” you can see the name. To change it, hit the “Pencil” icon, remove the current one and provide a new name. Click on the Tick icon.
- In the “About,” you can see the current about.
- Adding or changing your profile photo is possible from here.
Open the WhatsApp Desktop app and hit the profile picture at the bottom left. You can now see the name, about, profile picture, and phone number in the pop-up.
To modify the name, you must hit the “Pencil” icon beside it. Provide the name per your wishes and hit the “Enter” key.
Change Contact Name on WhatsApp
Note: You can’t do this task on WhatsApp Web and Desktop app.
Open the WhatsApp chat of the contact you wish to change the name.
Tap the contact name and hit the three vertical dots at the top right.
Select “Edit” and change the name.
Hit “Save” at the top right.
Open the WhatsApp conversation with the contact you want.
Hit the contact name at the top and tap “Edit” at the top right.
Change the name and hit “Save” at the top right corner.
Check if a Number is on WhatsApp
Here, you’ll see two different ways to find out if a number is on WhatsApp or not. Note that no one except yourself knows that you’ve checked this number.
You can use this method on the Android, iPhone, Web, or Desktop app.
You can use wa.me to find this. Please check out this article for using wa.me.
Method #2 (For iPhone and Android Only)
If you’re using an iPhone, follow these steps:
Open the WhatsApp Messenger app and hit the icon at the top right of the “Chats” tab. Hit “New Contact” and enter the phone number.
If the phone number isn’t on WhatsApp, you’ll see this message: This phone number is not on WhatsApp. Invite to WhatsApp.
If you’re using an iPhone, here’s an alternate method: Add the number as a contact on your iPhone. Launch WhatsApp and hit the icon at the top right of the “Chats” tab.
If the number you added isn’t on WhatsApp, you’ll see it in the “Invite to WhatsApp” section.
If you’re on an Android phone, follow these steps:
Add the number as a contact on your Android phone.
Open the WhatsApp Messenger app. Hit the green color icon, which you can find at the bottom of the “Chats” tab.
If you see the contact in the “Invite to WhatsApp” section, it isn’t on WhatsApp.